Tuesday, January 1, 2013

THE SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF 2012

I really like music. I really like films. I listen to a lot of music, and I watch a lot of films. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts on both in the past year.

Let it be said (as if it isn't obvious), all of this is my opinion. I know for a fact there's a bunch of people who will disagree with me, that's just fine. Feel free to leave your thoughts, or tell me how much my taste sucks, just be respectful, eh? 

TOP 10 RECORDS OF 2012
10. Calabrese - Dayglo Necros
9. Brendan Kelly and The Wandering Birds - I'd Rather Die Than Live Forever 
8. Classics of Love - Classics of Love
7. Morning Glory - Poets Were My Heroes
6. The Dopamines - Vices
5. Unfun - Caroline EP 
4. Not On Tour - All This Time 
3. Harley Poe - Satan, Sex, and No Regrets 
2. The Holy Mess - Cande Ru Las Degas 
1. Arms Aloft - Sawdust City

GOOD, BUT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER 
Bouncing Souls - Comet
Citizen Fish - Dancing on Spikes
Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
Menzingers - On The Impossible Past 
Voodoo Glow Skulls - Break The Spell 

PAINS ME NOT TO HAVE IT IN THE TOP 10 BUT I'M COMPLETELY UNDERWHELMED WITH IT: Propagandhi - Failed States 

WISH THEY'D JUST STOP ALREADY OR I'D GET SMART AND STOP BUYING THEIR RECORDS SINCE EVERYTHING POST-THE DECLINE BLOWS: NoFX - Self Entitled

FAVORITE NON-2012 MUSIC!
This is a list of stuff that came out previously but I had not heard until this year, and I'm totally into. Listed alphabetically.
Animal Chin - All The Kids Agree
Big Audio Dynamite II - The Globe
Elway - Delusion
Fingers Cut Megamachine - Fingers Cut Megamachine
Iron Chic - entire discography
Lemuria - Get Better
Lucero - The Attic Tapes
The Manix - Neighborhood Wildlife
Radon - 28
The Sainte Catherines - Fire Works
Shook Ones - entire discography (especially Facetious Folly Feat)
Tuesday - Early Summer EP
Wingnut Dishwashers Union - Burn The Earth, Leave It Behind


TOP 10 FILMS OF 2012
10. Alfie, the Little Werewolf
9. Killer Joe
8. Snowtown Murders 
7. Excision
6. Sinister
5. A Cadaver Christmas
4. The Raid: Redemption
3. Argo
2. Kill List
1. Bone Brigade: An Autobiography
Note: The top three were extremely hard to pick, especially because they are so completely different from each other, all three have their own charm. When it all came down to it, I was a little apprehensive about putting a documentary as my top film (why, I don't really know), but everything about it floored me. Bones Brigade undoubtedly was the film that got me most pumped this year, which earns it the top spot. 

2012 FILMS WORTH MENTIONING aka HONORABLE MENTIONS
The American Scream
Cabin in the Woods
Corman's World
Detention
Dredd
Jeff, Who Lives At Home
Sound of My Voice
The Woman in Black

WOULD BE IN THE TOP THREE BUT IT'S A SHORT
Other

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS
Dark Knight Rises
Prometheus

BAFFLED BY THE HYPE
The Innkeepers

ABSOLUTE WORST FILM OF THE YEAR aka EVEN WORSE THAN THE APPARITION 
V/H/S

FAVORITE NON-2012 FILMS!
This is a list of stuff that came out previously but I had not seen until this year, and I'm totally into. Listed alphabetically.
50/50
Absentia
Altered
Below
Blue Valentine
Bronson
Crazy Lips
Deliver Us From Evil
Grizzly
The Innocents
Never Let Me Go
Night Warning
The Proposition
Reflecting Skin
Saint Nick
The Shark Is Still Working
Who Can Kill A Child?

I should point out that I do keep a spreadsheet of all the films I watch, what day I saw them, and what year they were released. Sadly, I ran into some major computer issues and as a result I lost the file. I've been able to figure out most of my viewings through ticket stubs, rental history, etc., but chances are there are some viewings I forgot about. So these lists represent what I know I've seen in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment