Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cheap Shots, Youth Anthems

To be honest, I have had such a serious love/hate relationship with music over the last 6-8 years. Maybe even more. Music has been one of the biggest aspects of my life for well over 15 years now. I don't even want to think about how much money I have spent on music in my life. Between records, shows, shirts... ugh. The number would probably make me so depressed. Although, it is money well spent. I need music in my life.

How could I hate something that I need in my life? Well, over time, things change. One of those things is music. Not necessarily the music I like, but music as an entity. Bands change, shows change, tastes change, scenes changes... that's just how it goes. For many of years, I was going to shows 3-4 times a month, sometimes more. In the last six years, I've been lucky to get to one show a month.

What the hell happened?

There's many possible answers to this, all of which would be appropriate. However, one answer really stands out: Shows. Shows now aren't what they used to be for me. Did I get burnt out on shows? Are there not as many bands currently playing that I like? Are there no shows in the area that interest me? Did most of the venues get shut down? Do I think crowds suck at shows now? Does not having a car prevent me from seeing the shows I want to? To answer all of these, yes. There's been bands I've seen in recent years, bands I am really into, that I've left the show feeling unfulfilled. Majority of the time, it wasn't the band's fault. It was something with me. Something was lacking, something was missing.

All that changed in December, though. December 10, 2010 to be exact.

Braving some ultra shitty Wisconsin weather, I made my way (in a mighty fine rental car) to Madison, to see my good friend, Leah, and check out The Queers. Somehow, I managed to never see The Queers. I can recall all the times I missed them, though. Feeling like I had to see them before they call it quits, this worked out really well. Plus, it was at The Frequency, a venue I've never been to previously.

Don't know if it was something in the air, the PBRs I had, the company I was with, or some other magical bullshit (perhaps ka), but the show was outstanding. The Frequency was this tiny, dark venue, the kind of place I want to see a punk rock show at, and The Queers were way more solid than I expected. Flat out, the show rocked. I felt good, the show felt good. I have not been to a show like that in a long time, and have not enjoyed a show like that in even longer.

Needless to say, when I found out Dead To Me and Off With Their Heads (two bands I've been really into over the last few years, and have never seen live) were playing at The Frequency, I was fucking pumped. And now, the show is tomorrow night, and I am so damn excited. It feels great to get this excited about a show, I missed this feeling.

Sadly, I will have to miss Friday Fright Night, but it is for good reasons. This is what I will be doing. And all I have to say is: Fuck. Yes.






No comments:

Post a Comment